When it comes to navigating the overseas basketball market, having a good agent can make all the difference in a player’s career. One consideration to keep in mind when choosing an agent is whether they are licensed by FIBA (the International Basketball Federation). While not all agents are FIBA licensed, there are several benefits to working with an agent who holds this designation.
- Access to more opportunities: FIBA licensed agents have access to a wider range of opportunities within the international basketball market. They are more likely to have connections with teams and leagues across the globe, which can lead to more opportunities for their clients.
- Knowledge of international regulations: Working with a FIBA-licensed agent ensures that the agent is knowledgeable about the international regulations and requirements for playing basketball overseas. This includes visa requirements, contract terms, and other legal considerations.
- Professionalism: FIBA-licensed agents are held to a higher standard of professionalism and ethical conduct. They must adhere to strict guidelines and regulations set forth by FIBA, which helps to ensure that they act in the best interests of their clients.
- Protection of player rights: FIBA licensed agents are required to follow certain guidelines regarding player rights and contracts. This includes ensuring that players are paid on time, that contracts are fair and legally binding, and that players are not subjected to any forms of abuse or exploitation.
- Expertise in negotiations: FIBA licensed agents are trained in negotiation and are skilled at securing the best possible deals for their clients. They have a deep understanding of the international basketball market and can use this knowledge to negotiate favorable contracts on behalf of their clients.
- Continued education and training: FIBA-licensed agents are required to participate in ongoing education and training to maintain their licenses which costs them about 1000 euros each year. This ensures that they are up-to-date on the latest developments in the international basketball market and can continue to provide the best possible service to their clients.
FIBA-licensed agents are listed on the FIBA.com website, which makes it easy for players to verify their credentials and ensure that they are working with a reputable agent. To find out if an agent is FIBA licensed, simply visit the FIBA.com website and search for the agent’s name.
While working with a FIBA-licensed agent can provide players with numerous benefits, that does not mean that an agent without a FIBA license is not a proper agent or is worse than one with the FIBA license. The most important thing is that both you and your agent believe and trust in each other.