I am by no means an expert at working out or staying in shape. I spoke with a basketball athletic trainer about this piece and asked for a simple direction you could use to guide your offseason. I realize some of you have jobs in the offseason or other responsibilities and cannot dedicate specific time for your workouts. Please mold this 2 month model how you like or are able to.
Note that there is no specific weight training examples. I feel that most athletes already have a weights system that they use in the offseason and most stick with what works for them. I have also not included the mental side of the offseason. Raising your IQ by watching other players at your position, and critiquing your own game should be a part of your offseason training as well.
We all know that the offseason is the time when players need to focus on their physical and mental fitness to get ready for the grueling season ahead. Here is a schedule that can help players prepare for the preseason:
– Cardio Work: Start with light cardio exercises such as jogging, cycling, and swimming for 30-45 minutes a day.
– Basketball Practice: Start with light basketball drills for 1-2 hours a day.
– Cardio Work: Increase the intensity of cardio exercises to include sprinting, interval training, and agility drills for 45-60 minutes a day.
– Basketball Practice: Increase the intensity of basketball drills to include shooting, dribbling, and defensive drills for 2-3 hours a day.
– Cardio Work: Incorporate high-intensity interval training (HIIT) for 60-90 minutes a day to improve endurance and stamina.
– Basketball Practice: Focus on team drills, scrimmage games, and conditioning drills for 3-4 hours a day.
– Cardio Work: Continue with HIIT and other advanced cardio exercises for 60-90 minutes a day.
– Basketball Practice: Increase the intensity and duration of team drills, scrimmage games, and conditioning drills for 4-5 hours a day.
It’s important to note that the higher the level of the trainings, the more technology and medical support is needed to enhance your performance and recovery. This includes advanced training equipment, video analysis, recovery aids, and sports medicine support.
With a well-planned schedule that includes cardio work and basketball drills, players can improve their physical and mental fitness to perform at their best during the season.